Community discussions

MikroTik App
demonlg
刚刚加入了
Topic Author
加入: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:28 am

APC Smart UPS new LCD version with Mikrotik RB

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:42 am

Hi, i'm work in a local WISP in Italy, and in all radio tower i have installed the previus version of APC Smart-UPS system with a normal serial DB9 to DB9 cable connected with RB450 or RB1100 routers, and i have allways used the ups packege without problem, pefrect monitoring the UPS status and sending allarm mail.

But i have a problem with a new version of APC Smart-UPS LCD model, this model doesn't have the normal DB9 toDB9 cable but have a DB9 to RJ50 cable !

If i connect the DB9 on the router, and set at the same old mode the ROS, i don't receive any data from UPS, the package don't found any UPS connected to the router!

I have used original DB9 to RJ50 cable in the UPS BOX, and after I tried to reverse the wires tx / rx in the RJ50 plug, but without result.

Any idea or any solution for this problem? I have any radio tower without monitorig !

Thanks for response..

Emanuele
Last edited bydemonlgon Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
用户avatar
nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
加入: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:52 am

Re: APC Smart UPS new LCD version with Mikrotik RB

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:56 am

The new APC UPS now has a new 'secret' and completely new protocol, they have refused to license the protocol to anyone, even Microsoft, so there are no details as to how this new protocol works.:-(

But, if you have a APC UPS with a USB connector, then you are still in luck if you have a RB with a USB. The USB interface from the APC still supports the original Smart protocol.:-)
demonlg
刚刚加入了
Topic Author

我2012年1月16日6:02点

The new APC UPS now has a new 'secret' and completely new protocol, they have refused to license the protocol to anyone, even Microsoft, so there are no details as to how this new protocol works.:-(

But, if you have a APC UPS with a USB connector, then you are still in luck if you have a RB with a USB. The USB interface from the APC still supports the original Smart protocol.:-)

Mmmm very good response !! I try with USB, in any case i have RB with USB port, in other case i need to change RB model.

Thanks

Regards

Emanuele
用户avatar
nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:40 am

In fact the new APC UPS that has the blue LCD (eg 1500VA models) and both the RJ45 with RS232 DB9 adaptor and USB socket can output to both connectors at the same time. So if you have two windows servers that need protection with Powerchute, you can connect both cables. Before with the old models, this was not possible it was only one or the other and you had to buy the extra expansion card. No more.:-)

Also, be aware that you are likely to have to provide 5V to those USB connectors on the RB's! Until we connected 5V to the RB493G's USB we had no UPS information. As soon as we connected 5V, it worked and we could read UPS voltage information once again!:-)
demonlg
刚刚加入了
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Ok, i have connected one RB751U to the APC-SmartUPS 1000-RMI2U with original USB cable and the ROS now detect the UPS in UPS package menu from USB1 port, but the status information is broken, i have only correct value in the battery charge percent, but i' don't have output voltage value, and in the line voltage rows i have the 27,8 battery voltage value!!!

Why?

Emanuel
用户avatar
nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 am

I have no idea...:-(Ask Mikrotik support?
用户avatar
matrot2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
加入: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:34 pm

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 am

Simply change the UPS to AD-155, or something like that.
UPS monitor, for such an event:
http://tandem.ck.ua/ups_mtm-eng.php
demonlg
刚刚加入了
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 am

Simply change the UPS to AD-155, or something like that.
UPS monitor, for such an event:
http://tandem.ck.ua/ups_mtm-eng.php
Very Thanks!

Emanuel