用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author
加入: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:15 pm

10G with Mikrotik WORKING

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:51 am

We tested it and decided to share with all of you as it was never done before here on forum:

Test is done with intel 10G copper nics, intel 1366 processor to machine with the same setup.

Send:
前女友e-net-10g-1.jpg
Receive:
前女友e-net-10g-receive.jpg
Both:
前女友e-net-10g-both.jpg
In interfaces it shows about 1300M, we suppose it is bug. It will be reported to support.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member
加入: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:13 am

Re: 10G with Mikrotik WORKING

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:17 am

Nice!

Now turn on contrack:P
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:23 am

Contrack on all the time.
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:30 am

With contrack off, it shows 4G on interfaces, so it seems it is not bug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 am

Very nice then! I'm curious about the various performance hits using ROS features has. Any change you can do some mangles based on it, packet marking etc etc

It's great to see wirespeed (albeit on a octocore box) But reality is there are very few applications that would call for using MT with 10gbit nic's as a pure bridge:)
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 am

I agree: )

The problem is, we didn't find motherboard which will give different irqs to pci-e slots. New motherboards give only two different irqs to all pci-e slots, so many nics share the same irq and that is the problem.

As soon as we find suitable motherboard, you can see it with many rules.

P.S. Also I am not sure why this 10G nics are very very warm when working.
Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:05 am

Judging by the fact you can push 10gbit thru a x86 box I would say the cards are doing alot of the heavy lifting work wise. The cards do have some grunty ASIC's on them
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:12 am

Per specifications, working temperature is 55C max. I didn't measure temperature yet, but I think that is more than 60-70

p.s. it is warm like graphic card without cooler... : )
Last edited by前女友eon Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:17 am

Hmm, does the card have heat sinks on any part of the card? I'd be worried about it at those temps. You could run into stability issues.

Can you load normal linux or even windows and redo the tests/take temps? The cards might need some fan's running over them
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 am

Hmm, does the card have heat sinks on any part of the card? I'd be worried about it at those temps. You could run into stability issues.

Can you load normal linux or even windows and redo the tests/take temps? The cards might need some fan's running over them
I agree, it should have coolers. Yes there are two large sinks.

If you plug out hdd and leave system without booting, temps are the same. It seems it is normal, I plug also graphic card into x16 without coolers and this card have the same temp as intel nics.
用户头像
Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:06 pm

please make BW test to loopback (127.0.0.1) - just interesting ))

also, what about TCP tests, and real life traffic?
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:05 pm

In the meantime, we found out that you get better bandwidth with I7 in comparation to XEON.

I7-950 blows Xeon E5620 in just any way. For example, with bandwidth test, Xeon achieve 6.4G/5G while I7 9.7G/9.7G very fast.

The problem is only with motherboards. All new intel motherboards including server versions issues the same irq on pci-e slots and that is very bad for performance not just with mikrotik but with windows too if all slots are used.

So, if you use all PCI-E slots with new boards and get IRQ conflicts, there is bandwidth saturation and rx drops.

我不能理解为什么它是如此困难的intel to make chipsets with better irq balancing on slots.

I spoke with intel representative,he told me that I am wrong, that irqs are different with new boards. He reffered that OS will issue different irqs to interfaces. And that is true. But he cannot understand that problem is with IRQs on slots which are issued by BIOS and not OS. So, the same IRQ for all pci-e slots means big trouble in the mean of performance and bandwidth.

They told us that they cannot guarantee anything with mikrotik but with windows they can. So we used x58 motherboard and used all pci-e slots with windows 7. As all pci-e slots have one irq (in our case 11) performance was very bad.

So, it has influence on windows without reason. Other thing is that people do not use anything extra on pci-e slots beside graphic card so in most cases they do not have problems with IRQs and bad performance. So why they put 5-6 slots on motherboard?

Also we tested intel server board with two x8 pci-e, one x4 and two integrated intel ethernet interfaces.
Put cards in all slots and all of them will have the same IRQ. In our case IRQ 10 and that is bad for performance and stability and there is bandwidth saturation.
用户头像
fatonk
加入: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:06 am

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:23 pm

I have faced the same issue when I tried to setup some kind of QoS/traffic prioritizing solution. The server I used was Dell power-edge Xeon quad core and six 1gigabit ethernet pci-x cards (one card was dual port) configured in bridge mode in between two cisco switches configured with etherchannel to aggregate three 1gig interfaces, the parent queue that I used was global-out. When traffic was reaching and exceeding 1 gig, lot of rx-drops were occurring and this had a huge impact on service.
I tried another scenario with less interfaces using only four 1gig interfaces to create two different bridge groups, and the parent queue in this case were physical interfaces and not global-out, in this case when traffic was reaching or exceeding 1gig, the same performance was noticed, but now server even time to time stopped responding. The another scenario with two servers had no problem, two 1gig ports were aggregated with cisco etherchannel no rx-drops, again moving back to one server again same issues. I think the only way to provide more than 1Gig of throughput is to use 10G interfaces, or is there any hardware that has overcome IRQ issue.

Regards.

Faton
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:39 am

but now server even time to time stopped responding
This can heppend also if you use realtek pci-e or marvell pci-e ethernet cards with any version of mikrotik v4.x or v5.x .. as drivers in kernel or something other is very bad. Use only intel.

We tested also few versions of x58 motherboards with windows when 3 or more pci-e are used at the same time. You get plenty of blue screens. So as all pci-e use the same irq the problem is on intel, as now they make motherboards/chipsets with this issue. And all new motherboards are like this.
or is there any hardware that has overcome IRQ issue.
This is the key, if somebody know about hardware which support newest processors and bios gives different irqs to pci-e slots, please post. Maybe AMD?
用户头像
omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 am

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Did you have to tune any settings to achieve this and/or lock tx and rx chains to different processors or was it all done 'out-of-the-box' so to speak and worked straight away?
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:37 pm

It will work "out of the box" but it is better if you tune it: put different cpu core to irqs of 10G nic.
用户头像
omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 am

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Do you still have it setup or have the machines been moved elsewhere now?

Interested to know if it works correctly (graphing + interface rates + firewall etc) on v5.0 and above.

Can you post more of the hardware info too please?
What model Intel NICs (so we know what's supported ;-D)
用户头像
前女友e
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 pm

It is in different setup now.

Nics are: Network Card INTEL 10 Gigabit AT2 Server Adapter (PCI Express 8x,10GBase-T) .. code: INE10G41AT2

So far it works correctly. Tab: Ether>Interface>Status it is displayed 10G but on Ethernet Tab there isn't option to choose 10G or when you choose 1G it is still 10G and this doesn't work.

Anyway, this doesn't influence nic working as it works OK.
用户头像
Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
加入: Fri May 28, 2004 5:53 pm

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Anyone have recommendations for hardware that I can put a dozen 10GigE ports on and have them work well?