Community discussions

MikroTik App
mohsen1981
Topic Author
加入: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:09 pm

restore configration in n minutes

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm sure that there are many times a network admin is not sure of the changes that he is making and he does not know whether the changes will disconnect him or not.

there is a handy command in cisco: shutdown in n minutes

with this command if you lose your access due to recent changes, the system could reload with startup-config after some minutes and you have access to system again.
there is no handy command in ROS to do this simply. I use some kind of script to do this. but that is far away from a handy command.

一个公司mmand could be there to restore a saved configuration in n minutes to avoid loss of access remotely.

I'm sure that everyone are agree to add this simple but handy feature to ROS.
I hope everyone vote for it...
fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 am

Re: restore configration in n minutes

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:16 pm

Use safe mode, which doesn't commit changes to disk until you leave safe mode (by default all changes to the running config are persisted to the startup config, in safe mode that does not take place). If the session that invoked safe mode interrupt abnormally changes are rolled back - so if you screw up routing or the firewall you're taken care of. You can of course also schedule reloads just like in IOS.

So what you want already exists.

By the way, if you want to look at the best way to handle this look at JunOS. You can have scheduled rollbacks, and config changes are transactional. Rebooting to get back old configuration is not something you would want to do on a high profile router.
blake
加入: Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm

太阳2010年11月14日,39点

mohsen1981
Topic Author
加入: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:04 am

oops,
its about 2 years I'm using ROS but I were unaware of such a handy command
thanks for quick reply...
用户头像
Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Use safe mode, which doesn't commit changes to disk until you leave safe mode
hmmm... just dreaming: is it possible to use Safe Mode in API?:DI still don't loose a hope about creating dynamic address-list entries, so delaying writes for weeks would be some kind of workaround =)