Community discussions

MikroTik App
dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author
加入: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:21 am

Nothing ever works with MT Manuals!!! I hate it!!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:45 am

Man, I am realy frustrated about the MT manuals, the examples they give you never work!!! I upgraded to 2.9.1, they have changed everything about scripting and even simple firewall rules.. It took me some time to figure out simple things. I goto try to do "Equal bandwidth sharing among users" like always I follow the intrucctions exactly and like always at the end it does not work.. for some reason only the upload works!!! I then tried to do the simple p2p drop, well it also does not work, So since I cant stop p2p completly I guess I would limit each person to only 14k upload and download, well here we go again with the p2p examples, guess what, they dont have one!!. Another thing I hate is that when you write to then and ask for help, they simply send you to the manual, they give you links!! it would be nice if they would send you an example of what you are trying to do, if they know how to do it than just send the script and we copy and paste and then study from it.

Also I wrote them about me using pppoe for my clients to connect, I wanted to make my clients to have all the bandwidth I have availabe for 30 seconds and then regulate them back to 256k. All they could send was a link back to the manuals, very lazy I think. there is no example on how to use brust with pcq on the manual.

我甲肝病毒e been using MT for about 4 years, at first when they were not as famous, they would help you out in a more personal matter, now they just dont care. I love MT and its features but I am looking for something else, maybe more friendly user.
用户头像
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
加入: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:52 am

我甲肝病毒e been using MT for about 4 years
and you still don't have anything working?
they would help you out in a more personal matter, now they just dont care
that's not true. plus you have to understand, we have tens of new tickets being opened every day, we can't answer all of the tickets immediately. our tech support has limits.
Man, I am realy frustrated about the MT manuals, the examples they give you never work!!!
you must be doing something wrong. why does everyone else have them working? i assume you do not use the same values and addresses as in the examples? the examples are just to illustrate the techniques.
dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

2005年9月20日,星期二卧辅车

Offcourse我不使用相同的值,但可以I say, I follow the instructions just like is explained on the manual and it does not work. at least for the p2p and the Equal bandwidth sharing among users for the 2.9.1.. Thats what I have tried so far. Something else for example, I am looking for examples on how to use a script to enable and disable a forward rule. I dont see it in the new manual. For example, before it use to be
"/ip firewall rule forward { disable [find comment=p2p]
}" now this does not work.

That are the things that frustrate.
edzix
加入: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:01 pm

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:40 am

of course it will not work because the syntax has changed. If you would look at the firewall examples in the new manual, you will see that there is no such 'rule forward' submenu. So the example would look as follows:

"/ip firewall filter { disable [find comment=p2p]}"
dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:00 am

First of all I want to appoligize to all the MT tech team, I guess you guys are busy because of the incredible success MT OS has. Next time I cant figure something out I will leave the are for about 2 days!!!:)Came back fresh. Edzix, thanks for pointing that out, I guess I was burned and could not find answers, I will get some sleep nos since i have been up for more than 16 hours playing with the new 2.9.1.

Goodnite everyone
用户头像
maximan
Trainer
Trainer
加入: Sat May 29, 2004 12:10 am

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:12 pm

The people doesn't read the manual completely or they read without attention.

The manual of mt is the best compared with another solution.
Just you have to read slowly, study. then implement it.
Trisc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
加入: Sat May 29, 2004 11:24 pm

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:39 pm

Perhaps its time for an O'Reilly book on Router OS. Any gurus out there willing?

Trisc
用户头像
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
加入: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:39 am

routeros changes too fast, book would be outdated too soon. plus i think the MT manual is very good. we have to work on the examples more, but remember that RouterOS is not a game or fashion application. it is meant for serious professionals. so if you know anything about networking - routeros and it's manuals will be easy