MikroTik App
ivanperino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author
加入: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:34 am

Using another port than 1701 for L2TP

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:28 am

Let´s to say there is a network very limited in opened ports, just 22, 21 80 and maybe 8080. I want to stablish any kind of VPN between two routers. But using L2TP for example there is no way to coneect L2TP server on 1701 port!!
What should I do to change destiny port in L2TP client??
dst-nat does not perform any change in output or postrouting chain.

May be another solution? The client RouterBoard have not a Public IP, is behind a nat and the STRICT firewall

Thank you very much

Ivan Perino
changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Fri May 28, 2004 5:22 pm

Re: Using another port than 1701 for L2TP

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:04 am

i have asked for this a few times, would love to specify ports for ppp services.
用户头像
hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member
加入: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:01 pm

May be another solution? The client RouterBoard have not a Public IP, is behind a nat and the STRICT firewall
Perhaps their 'STRICT firewall' is there for a reason?

Perhaps you would be breaching the terms and conditions of the internet service?

Perhaps it's easier to just ask them to open up the port?
risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
加入: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Perhaps you could give the guy an answer to his question?

Perhaps he has already tried to ask, or it's not an option to ask?

Perhaps others in the forum would be interested in an answer as well?

Perhaps you could come down off your high "networking" horse and help out?

Perhaps you don't know how to do it?
用户头像
hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member
加入: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 am

Perhaps you could give the guy an answer to his question?
Sometimes more questions are needed before an answer is given.
Perhaps he has already tried to ask, or it's not an option to ask?
How would I know this before he answers my question?
Perhaps others in the forum would be interested in an answer as well?
Yep that's the basic idea of a forum. No prizes there I'm afraid.
Perhaps you could come down off your high "networking" horse and help out?
For starters I generally do help out where I can. However I do see a lot of people trying circumvent their respective ISPs restrictions and are blatantly transgressing their terms and conditions. If what the OP is trying to do is perfectly legal, then he will get the help here, however if it's not legal then why would Mikrotik want to get their reputation muddied?
Perhaps you don't know how to do it?
Maybe and maybe not. Considering your childish response, you'll now never know.
risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Ok, then here is my justification for wanting to know if this is possible:

I live in a country which has a Telecommunications Monopoly which is out rightly blocking the following protocols:
PPTP L2TP, IPSEC, VOIP (SIP、瘦、IAX)前vent people from using VOIP or Tunneled VOIP. The LAW of the land states that what the Telecom company is doing is illegal, however, the Telecom company could care less about the law of the land because they have all the politicians in their pockets. So the law doesn't get enforced, which leaves customers without many options with regards to using VOIP within the country.

One potential work around would be to tunnel L2TP or another UDP based tunnel (OpenVPN on linux would also be an option) on an alternate port.

Ideally, I would like to use Mikrotik to do this
用户头像
Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:14 pm

do they block eoip? =)
changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Fri May 28, 2004 5:22 pm

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:23 pm

eoip uses GRE correct? might be an option. I always thought there would be a way to use NAT / redirect to change the port of l2tp, but I never got it working, although I dind't spend much time testing. Maybe thats still an option.
用户头像
Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 pm

didn't tested redirect, but eoip is still an option. and AFAIK it doesn't use gre
用户头像
mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
加入: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 am

One potential work around would be to tunnel L2TP or another UDP based tunnel (OpenVPN on linux would also be an option) on an alternate port.
You can run OpenVPN on Mikrotik routers, too.
and AFAIK it doesn't use gre
It does.
risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:17 pm

I considered OpenVPN on Mikrotik, however, since this is VOIP traffic, UDP based tunnels would work somewhat better:D
trebew
刚刚加入了
加入: Thu May 31, 2018 6:13 am

Thu May 31, 2018 6:23 am

Hi, this post is very old but I need exactly the same configuration. I do not have a public IP, my internet is from a small local provider whom has few public IPs and does kind of a private network for their clients, something like CGNAT I guess. I talked to then and they can open a few ports for me, but I can not specify the port number, so... I need to run a VPN L2TP/IPSec with other then the original ports. Is it possible?
UnLe
刚刚加入了
加入: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:25 am

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:07 am

Hi, this post is very old but I need exactly the same configuration. I do not have a public IP, my internet is from a small local provider whom has few public IPs and does kind of a private network for their clients, something like CGNAT I guess. I talked to then and they can open a few ports for me, but I can not specify the port number, so... I need to run a VPN L2TP/IPSec with other then the original ports. Is it possible?
Hello,
I haven't tried it yet (I'm sure I will), but there's a nice solution for DNS port changing which might be applicable here as well.
Open this link and look for a post by "Sob", which is based on an idea by "Sindy" (big credit to both):
viewtopic.php?t=116211

I'm using this solution now for splitting external DNS servers by zones.
sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
加入: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:49 am

Just think carefully about the encapsulation. You can have a plain L2TP (not recommended for lack of security), a plain IPsec (with its very specific approach to routing), L2TP tunneled inside IPsec (the standard way), and some people use IPsec tunneled inside L2TP.

And you need to redirect only the ports for the outer tunnel, because the ISP's firewall cannot affect the packets in the inner tunnel. So:
  • in case of the unusual configuration where IPsec is tunneled via L2TP (or if you use L2TP alone), it is enough to dst-nat UDP port 1701 at both clients' output (which requires the local tunnel workaround) and server's input
  • in case of the standard configuration where L2TP is tunelled via IPsec, it is enough to dst-nat UDP ports 500 and 4500 at clients' output and server's input. If you set up the IPsec layer manually, it is possible to set an alternative of remote port 500 but not of local port 500 nor of port 4500 at either end, so it is probably less confusing to handle both ports at both ends using the dst-nat. But there is another caveat in this case - if by chance both the client and server run on public IP addresses, the IPsec layer chooses plain ESP as transport, and if the ISP's firewall is as tight as you describe, ESP packets are very likely to be dropped too. If this is the case, you have to force src-nat at one end to that the IPsec stack would decide to tunnel the ESP via UDP on port 4500
telecomadmin
刚刚加入了
加入: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:54 am

Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:53 am

# Use 39900 to connect L2TP server (RouterOS 7.9rc2 Testing passed)

# L2TP Server
/ip firewall nat
add action=redirect chain=dstnat dst-port=39900 protocol=udp to-ports=1701

/interface l2tp-server server
set enabled=yes

/ppp secret
add service=l2tp profile=default-encryption name=in1 password=in1 local-address=10.2.0.1 remote-address=10.2.0.2

# L2TP Client
/ip firewall nat
add action=src-nat chain=srcnat protocol=udp src-port=1701 to-ports=39900
add action=dst-nat chain=output protocol=udp dst-port=1701 to-ports=39900

/interface l2tp-client
add disabled=no name=l2tp-out1 user=in1 password=in1 connect-to=172.16.0.1
用户头像
Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:46 am

Previously (RouterOS v6), it was not possible to do dst-nat on router-originated connections. Has this changed?