Community discussions

MikroTik App
mobilexpi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author
加入: Thu May 26, 2005 5:24 am

杜al WAN (one for Internet and another for VOIP and backup)

Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 am

Hello
I'm installing a small WISP and I want to offer Internet 1Mbps and IP Telephony to my customers.
I've 2 Internet connections one ADSL (1Mbps/512Kbps) and one cable (4Mbps/512Kbps) the idea is provide 512K internet plans.

现在我的问题是:
我怎么能使用电缆连接(4 mbps / 512 kbps)only for Internet (and if the ADSL fails use it also to transmit the voip packets). And the ADSL (1Mbps/512Kbps) only for voip and only if Cable connection fails (use up to 512Kbps/128Kbps of the ADSL bandwidth) for backup??
The idea is to provide an excellent voice service.
PS: For AP I'll use Ubiquiti Bullet2HP and for CPE I'll use Ubiquiti NanoLoco2 and Nano2 (for long distance)

Thanks,

Best regards
jimbojones
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
加入: Mon May 04, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Dual WAN (one for Internet and another for VOIP and backup)

Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 pm

You've nowhere near enough upstream bandwidth to consider voip services of any scale, especially as your emphasis is on quality. Each VOIP circuit will use 64k of your upstream (protocol dependent) as well as other network overhead. In reality, you'd be lucky to manage 4 simultaneous voip transmissions with such little bandwidth, taking into account other overhead.

Can you not get any syncronous bandwidth instead of using DSL connections (Which is not the thing to base a business on IMO) Also, most providers do not allow reselling of their services, so a dedicated connection is the only way to go.

In answer to your question though, you could acheive something near what your asking by packet marking, and sending the voip traffic to it's own gateway, whilst having a default route for other traffic. There are loads of examples in the forums here.

问候

Jimbo
mobilexpi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2009 5:29 pm

I was reading that G729 only uses near 40Kbps per call, and if I've 512Kbps upstream, can I manage up to 10 simultaneous calls??

Best regards
melwong
加入: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:43 am

Sun May 10, 2009 6:23 pm

ADSL is always stated "up to" certain bandwidth.

Theres no SLA, QoS, etc.....

Be careful on that and your country cunning ISPs.
JJCinAZ
加入: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:03 am

Sun May 10, 2009 9:23 pm

G729 with a payload size of 20ms will consume 40 Kbps upload AND 40 Kbps download with 50 pps up and 50 pps down. G711 with a payload size of 20ms will consume 80 Kbps upload AND 80 Kbps download with 50 pps up and down as well. You have to take packets-per-second (pps) and bandwidth into account.
mobilexpi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2009 12:08 am

With my ADSL connection I've near 100% of the max speed (national bandwidth,international bandwidth an average of 50%)....
Then can I carry 10 G729 (20ms payload) calls with my ADSL connection? or you really consider that it's no way.

Thanks

Best regards
jimbojones
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
加入: Mon May 04, 2009 12:47 am

Thu May 14, 2009 3:44 pm

The problem you have, is that any cable or DSl service is a contended one. There will be points that you are sharing that upstream with others on the same circuit, and if you have voice calls going on at that time, then your calls will suffer or drop.

Your original post emphasys was on the word "quality." What we're telling you, is there is no way of gauranteeing that using dsl or cable connections. You need uncontended, dedicated bandwidth for any voip service.

Your looking at a best-case scenario, providing you get every bit of bandwidth constantly to provide X amount of simultaneous voip calls. The reality though, is you won't get the the max bandwidth all the time on any contended service, so you will not be able to provide a quality service on those types of connections. The reality is, you cannot run any business on DSL/cable connections properly. I know it's the only option for some. Can you not get an ISDN circuit in where your cable/dsl modems are located and run the voip through those? That would work perfectly.

问候

Jimbo
用户头像
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
加入: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am

Thu May 14, 2009 3:54 pm

this is not a wisp discussion forum. it's a MIKROTIK discussion forum. you are not using mikrotik stuff, so the thread is locked.