block audio streaming

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:06 am

How do you block audio streaming or online radio stations

Thanks in advance
JJCinAZ
加入: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:03 am

Re: block audio streaming

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:52 pm

That's hard to do with RouterOS. Audio streaming and Internet radio is done with HTTP on port 80 and other ports as well as with RTSP on various ports. A layer-7 filter can catch the RTSP but the HTTP streaming looks like any other web traffic. You really need a dynamic list of IP's, plus a bunch of layer-7 filters, plus a person to update both the IP's and the filters every day.

We use two tactics. On a simple basis, we periodically look to see which users are using the most bandwidth and implement specific blocks or queues for them to stop bad behavior. For a more comprehensive solution, we use a separate appliance between the Mikrotik and the LAN to implement very detailed Internet usage controls.
用户头像
hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member
加入: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 pm

For a more comprehensive solution, we use a separate appliance between the Mikrotik and the LAN to implement very detailed Internet usage controls.
Could please elaborate? I know this not related to Mikrotik but it is a necessary requirement nowadays.
JJCinAZ
加入: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:03 am

08年7月结婚,2009 6:29 pm

I can't since the Mikrotik guys frown on posting of other products here. Google is your friend. Search for web filtering appliances.

I thought of another method. Setup an account on OpenDNS and force all your users to go through it. I do that with a firewall rule disallowing DNS from the LAN to the Internet except for the designated DNS forwarder(s). The DNS forwarder could be the Mikrotik itself or another internal server. OpenDNS allows you to block various stuff.
用户头像
hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member
加入: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 pm

08年7月结婚,2009 6:44 pm

Thanks.

I do use OpenDNS but it would be nice to plug a device behind the Mikrotik router.

I sent you an email though so hopefully you get it.